Holiday Tastemake: Jenny Bohannon
Continuing our 2021 Holiday Tastemaker series, Jenny Bohannon - interior designer and home restorationist behind Tallwood Country House - shares with us her favorite Fig & Dove items and how she styles them. She also answers a few questions, giving us and our readers a glimpse into her most cherished holiday traditions.
What are your five favorite Fig & Dove items, and how would you style them?
1. Set of 15 Small Dove Christmas Ornaments — I love the idea of this beautiful set en masse on a tabletop tree or incorporated into a larger collection of vintage ornaments!
2. Children’s Monogrammed Tree Skirts — Available in the sweetest styles for both boys and girls, these would be so lovely in a child’s room at Christmas!
3. White Berry Wreath — These are so lovely and would work well either inside or out. I especially love the way in which the white of the berries pops against the color of a front door!
4. Porcelain Sculptural Bowl — This would be lovely on any table filled with Christmas ornaments or seasonal fruit.
5. Advent Taper Candle Set — Lighting an Advent candle each Sunday and teaching our children what each represents is one of our favorite Christmas traditions!
What is your favorite entertaining secret or tip during the holiday season?
Hire out the food and enjoy your guests!
What is your go-to hostess gift?
A lovely set of bud vases is my current go-to.
What is a recipe you and your family look forward to most each holiday season?
My mother makes the loveliest meringues!
Bake While You Sleep Meringue Cookies – makes 4 dozen
2 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup chopped nutmeats
1 cup chocolate or peanut butter chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar and beat until stiff. Add salt, nuts, chips, and vanilla. Mix well. Line large cookie sheet with foil. Drop by teaspoonful on prepared cookie sheet. Place in oven and TURN OFF HEAT IMMEDIATELY. Leave in closed oven overnight.
What is one family tradition that you and your family talk about the most?
Every Christmas Eve, we gather at my parent’s house — my sisters, brother, and all our children — to celebrate Christmas together. Before we open presents, the children put on a Nativity play, with my father narrating from Matthew. It’s always so adorable!
What brings you the most joy during the Christmas season?
Most certainly being amongst family and friends to celebrate what the angels sang of so long ago: that God sent his only son, a tiny babe named Jesus, to save his people from their sins.